Sunday, 31 July 2011

Improvements on Red

After reading around on forums and a few painting blogs, I've had a go at changing my red recipe to improve it. In the past, I used excessive black lining in the crevices to add shade and I've tried something new for me.

To add a more natural shade, after the red basecoat I've used a mix of red gore and dark flesh on the recesses washed with Devlan Mud - this is followed by another slight wash of Devlan Mud later on in the process. This has produced a more gradual progression from the red armour to a very dark brown in places where I would previously have used a simple black line.

On top of this, I'm taking my highlights further towards fiery orange, but at the same time I'm using fewer, more subtle highlights. I like to think this has improved my red a great deal, but the new models will hopefully still be recognisably part of the same army.

This is a comparison shot - one of my original recipe Blood Angels compared to the marine that I was testing the new red out on. The new one's still WiP, but the helmet is more or less finished. Both pictures were taken with the same camera, the same lighting and at the same time.

Friday, 29 July 2011

Blood Angels Librarian

The paint-job is a bit of a disappointment to me, but at least it's one more Blood Angel painted. Luckily, I have a much better librarian model soaking in some paint stripper right now, so I'll hopefully have a better painted librarian to go alongside this guy eventually.

Wednesday, 27 July 2011

Black Templar Terminator Squad

Here's another unit of the table standard Black Templars I'm painting. This time, it's a terminator squad.

Tuesday, 26 July 2011

Blood Angels Rhino

I've completed a Rhino for my marines - I've used a 'weathering pen' that I picked up from hobbycraft, although it gives a nice built up mud effect I find it's hard to get the coverage right.

Monday, 25 July 2011

Blood Angels Captain

It's a pity that the Blood Angels captain is one of the most useless characters in any codex - I have two of them fully painted now. Oh dear. I have no idea why I painted this model instead of an assault squad come to think of it.

Thursday, 7 July 2011

Black Templar Marshall

Another speed-painted Black Templar here - a Marshall using the stock AoBR Captain with no conversions.

Related Posts with Thumbnails